Old May 23rd 04, 04:29 AM
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"~*Connie*~" dumped this in
on 22 May 2004:

I had all the cats (5) tested, Jack was positive (all 5 had high
fip titers). Had him retested six weeks later again positive. I
started him on vitamin C, and a year later he is now FeLV negative,
and most are fip 'negative as well.

Thanks Connie. I read that about Vit C a long time ago, and tried giving
him supplements for a while until I read some studies that said Vit C had
no effect on cats at all even though I have read anecdotal histories such
as yours. Congrats on that! Between the IBD and FeLV, I've tried so many
homeopathic/holistic/allopathic treatments. He was on Interferon for a
while until his IBD got really bad and the vet said Interferon was
messing with the GI tract immune system so we cut him off of Interferon,
and it helped the IBD (somewhat). The poor cat is on Prednisone for the
IBD so that doesn't help the FeLV but so far he is non-symptomatic. At
this time, the IBD is much worse than the fact that he's FeLV+ so we're
treating that. Incidentally, he became FeLV+ from a blood transfusion
nearly 2 years ago. Thanks for the info. I'm always open to something
new for both diseases. For IBD he's on Flagyl, prednisone, fish oil,
slippery elm, Vit B complex and off/on pepcid as needed. At best, this is
just keeping him somewhat comfortable. I just can't find a food that
doesn't trigger diarrhea in him. Just as with humans with colitis or
similar, he has good days and not so good days.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl,

I don't have any anecdotal information about Vit C and FeLV. However, I do
have personal anecdotal information about Vit C and UTI (which may be of
some interest to you). My first cat was feral, and we learned shortly after
we trapped him and I adopted him that he had UTI (very advanced). I went
through several years of testing, treating with prescription medication,
clean tests, relapse, more treatment, etc. I learned to recognize the signs
of UTI *very* early, and he seemed to have an episode every few weeks. I
moved to Texas and found an excellent vet about a year after I moved here.
The vet had just returned from a conference and advanced training in
England. He said that Vit C seemed to be effective. He had me administer
250 mg of Vit C morning and evening and told me that excess Vit C would be
excreted in the urine. He had had recurring episodes of UTI every few weeks
for about 4 years. I gave him Vit C twice a day for the rest of his life.
From the time I started Vit C treatment, he *never had another episode* --
and he lived to be almost 20. (He died many years ago, and I must admit
that I have not followed up on scientific literature to see what the more
current thinking is concerning Vit C; but this made me a "believer" in
possible benefits of Vit C.)

MaryL