Old October 27th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Up, down and sideways!

Hi

First of all thanks for the cards, he's really cheered up by them (Jo I
love the polar bear! And Randy and Dennis your cats are lovely!)

That social worker that caused such grief? I called her yesterday
because she is supposed to be coming today and as I have some bills to
pay I wanted to know when, only to find she is on a course...or annual
leave....in fact no-one seems to know where she is only she isn't
there! Luckily they have arranged for another one to come or I could
have ended up taking another day off!

Dave's doctor has now told him that medically speaking he is all clear.
Also if he continues to make progress at this rate, he could be able to
walk next week and possibly (Doc's looking into it) if he can walk the
distance from bed to loo etc (our flat is quite small) he might be able
to be discharged home and have physiotherapy at home for the stairs and
improving his walking distance.So in theory he could be out next week
or the week after and skip the rehab unit

In theory....

Physio also pleased with his progress..

So why did I arrive last night to find him close to tears?

He's been put back on the ward. They needed the side room for Paul
(He's just been told the cancer has spread to his lymph nodes, not the
best news anyone could give you, they were going to put a feeding tube
in and teach him how to use it and discharge him today to go home and
start chemotherapy. Now he has to wait to see the surgeon possibly
Monday and the feeding tube came out so he's dreading having that put
back in) so Dave is back on the ward. Back in that overheated, noisy
ward where he finds sleep is out of the question and the air is so
stifling when he first went back he couldn't breathe for half an hour.
And they didn't do his dressing change today, which they have to,
someone said they would be back to do it and never came back

And they've been very silly...

He's in the last bed on one side. There is no room at all for him to
move or do physio. As it was I barely had enough room to position the
chair, which they are saying he can't have because there isn't room. He
is casting covetous looks at the last bed on the other side, which
because there is a sink between it and the next bed, has generous floor
space. His physio wants him to sit on the chair with his legs resting
on the bed as much as possible to strengthen his legs and Thursday he
managed 76 minutes and 33 seconds (They were impressed he knew exactly
how long- he was listening to an album that is exactly that length!)
and today....He doesn't have room to do it. So he's fretting this will
send him back to square one.

Drastic measures were needed! I managed to get him on the chair and yes
he's got a valid point if that wall had been six inches nearer the bed
I wouldn't have been able to get behind the chair to brace it so he
doesn't slip when he's between the bed and the chair. As it was I had
to breathe in and have the handle of the chair sticking quite painfully
in my stomach. On the other side of the bed, the side table can't be
moved back as it would immediately collide with the table by the next
bed and he's already cracked his knee on it several times. And once he
was on the chair I barely had room to turn it round and had to drag it
in a way that made my right knee express it's unhappiness (A worry. If
it gets so bad I can't manage stairs then I can't go to work, which is
not good, I haven't been there long enough to get sick pay so that
would be a financial worry I don't need and Dave wouldn't be able to
get out as much as he does if I couldn't push the chair)

Anyway he cheered up once we were outside, he is fairly sure when his
consultant or the physio sees the problem they'll sort something out.
(I was pretty amused when we read his notes- well if they will leave
them where I can reach them. According to someone the first day he went
out he was taken out by his "Mother". Actually it's not amusing, it's
someone making that old false assumption disabled people can't have a
normal relationship with a non-disabled person of the same age! And I
do note I am always referred to as his "friend"- never his "partner"-
apart from once or twice and every time its "Lovey" who does that. She
is starting to grow on me even if she does still have a patronising
tone of voice)

And as he said "It's better than when I was on the ward last time- at
least now I can get out a bit" So we sat in the gardens and chatted for
a bit until it got too cold and we had to go back in. He has an
appointment on Tuesday with the footwear service to measure him for
something that will support his feet and hopefully keep them warm! He's
looking forward to that (amazing how important simple things become!)
because it's at Mile End Hospital so it's a "Day out". First time in
over 5 weeks that he'll have gone further than the "Sam's"

I left him and popped in to see Paul who isn't alllowed off the ward
alone so as morale officer I escorted him to the gardens for a couple
of cigarettes- he says (and I agree) it's nice to get off the ward
even for a couple of minutes

9.30 this morning the social worker and the occupational therapist came
in. They were only in here 15 minutes tops! I think on seeing that the
place was clean and tidy they weren't on the offensive after all Dave
had originally refused to let them in and said the place needed cleaned
so they were probably expecting a tip. They still offered a "Blitz"
clean even through the place is spotless! (Apart from a carpet that
needs shampooing but I told them I had the stuff and if that didn't
work I would hire a machine or replace the carpet)

The Occupational Therapist cracked me up in the bathroom he asked "Is
that cat food?"

He was pointing at the litter tray! He also seemed confused we kept the
tray in the bathroom and food and water in the kitchen until I pointed
out "You wouldn't want your dinner served in the toilet would you? Same
with cats"

Anyway they tell me according to their records, Dave will be in rehab
next week and to top it all- he'll be assigned a new social worker and
OT when he gets there. This is just a preliminary visit so they can
report to the new team who may have to visit themselves so more time
off work for me! Apart from that they think a chair could do with being
a bit higher (The same reason his physio got him a new bed- she said if
the bed is too low he's using most of his energy to get off it so when
he stands he's already tired but with the higher bed, it's almost no
effort to get off it and he can use the energy for standing) and the
bathroom might need some adjustments but it's all down to what residual
problems if any Dave is left with. Had real problems getting through
their head before this happened
Dave didn't have any problems walking, sitting etc.

Oh well, bills to go and pay, then Dave to see after that I'm going for
the farewell party at my old place (it closes Tuesday, some people got
jobs but 5-6 from admin and a lot from nursing and paramedical staff
are being made redundant). The management are holding a soiree with
wine and canapes from 5-7 with the chief exec as the guest of honour.
As you can imagine, feelings aren't too charitable to a man who
brazenly admitted he told managers to lie when people asked about the
closure (at least one person turned down a job offer 3 weeks before
they announced the closure because she asked her line manager if there
was any truth in closure rumours and was told we were safe!) even most
of the doctors aren't going instead we are all going to the pub! Much
more fun and suits me as I can see Dave from 2-7 instead of 2-4 and as
the weathers not too bad in the afternoon we can stay out a lot longer-
lunch in the "Sam's" is on the cards

Bye for now

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs