Old March 22nd 04, 07:29 AM
Mary

Meghan N. wrote:

When my elderly cat was losing weight, I took her to 3 vets with no
good advice whatsoever. I spent lots of money, and all they did was
try to sell me their special food, but she wanted nothing to do with
any of them.

So, I can see why sometimes it might be okay to wait while other

times
are not okay to wait. Sometimes we have to do our best to make the
right decision.

Attacking somebody for asking on this group is not going to help.

This
only encourages them to leave. If the problem sounds serious, then
simply say, "This sounds serious, better take him to the vet."

I agree. Gnarly was Vomit Queen. I took her in so many times and got
nothing but suggestions like, "could she have been eating any
houseplants?" and eventually just was prescribed some pills that would
stop her from vomiting. This is the
cat that lived to be 20 and had every single one of her teeth when she
died. I wasted tons of money flipping out because she hurled on a
regular basis. Sure, take them to the vet. But if you're in tight
straits, and it is something that has happened before and your
judgment tells you to seek other solutions before the vet, trust your
judgment. My cat had her Science Diet (top of the line in 1990, folks)
when I had pasta with no sauce. But there were plenty of times I
didn't take her to the vet every time she had a stomach problem.