Old October 5th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Off to the vet this morning

Back in March, Nipsy didn't show up for the 5am feeding although Marlo
and Espy munched away. He did eat around 6:00 when I got up for work
so I figured he was ok after all. That evening he was very lethargic
and making pathetic noises so off we went to the emergency vet. $400
later they determined that nothing major was wrong and that he had a
slight case of asthma. Later that night he upchucked a humongous
hairball. I decided that the next time he seemed sick I would wait a
day or two.

He didn't show up for the 5 am feeding this morning. The other three
cats (Scooter joining us during the summer) munched away. Nipsy was on
the bed, looking miserable. I decided I would take him to the vet when
they opened at 8 am rather than risk a trip to the emergency vet when
I came home tonight. He ate fine around 7 am when I got up but I had
made my mind up that we were going to the vet.

Good news. No fever, no abnormal breathing, pretty much normal. Even
though I vowed that I would wait a day or so I just couldn't bring
myself to do it. It kind of made sense, if I'm going to take him in,
then avoid the emergency vet like the plague.

It's so hard to know what to do when they act out of sorts. I'm sure
not going to post that my cat might be sick but I'm not taking him to
the vet for another day. But maybe it makes sense? Well, it was only
$45. But I do have to bring in a poop sample and that will be $80 or
so. Eh, at least he's ok.