Old July 6th 03, 05:20 AM
PawsForThought

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,
Another product that works well is Catlube, made without
petroleum-based ingredients:

www.vetsbest.com/cats.html#catlube

You have used this? I'm curious as to why you use clarified butter
instead of this.

Thanks,

Laura

I used the Catlube with my last cat and it worked well. She seemed to like it
better than the petroleum based remedies.
You can also make your own slippery elm by adding 1 tsp slippery elm powder to
1/2 cup cold water. Stir well to mix it. Then bring slowly to a simmer,
stirring periodically until it thickens. Then cool and store in a glass jar;
it keeps 5 to 7 days in the fridge. Feed 1 tsp of the liquid 5 to 10 mins
before the meal, but it can also be mixed in with the food if the cat won't eat
it plain.

My present cats haven't had hairballs fortunately. I have the ghee in the
house and had read that it worked to keep the digestive tract lubricated so I
gave my cats some and they love it. I just put some on my finger and they lick
it off. It's not much though. Ghee (butter with all the milk solids removed)
is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine and it's quite interesting:
http://www.indiaoz.com.au/health/ayu...ood_ghee.shtml

Lauren
________