Old May 27th 05, 09:31 PM
KellyH

Default Rabies law for strays

I know the laws are different for every state, but I was wondering if anyone
else involved in sheltering/rescue has heard of such a thing.
It has come to our attention that in NH, we are supposed to hold a stray cat
or dog for 10 days before giving a rabies vaccine and adopting out to the
public. I went over and over the law and really could not find anything
specific, so I have asked that the shelter speak to someone in authority
with the state before we make radical changes. As you can imagine, this
will impact the way we do things dramatically. Most of our animals are
strays. We are scheduled to have a meeting on the matter.
I'm just curious if other states have such a rule. If they did, how would
any cat especially ever make it to adoption in highly populated areas? Some
large municipal shelters only give a cat a few days before they euthanize, I
can't see them holding a cat for 10 days.

--
-Kelly