Old March 2nd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

Default My cats and Tuna

On Mar 2, 1:26 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"David Mooney" wrote in message

I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

My two like tuna but I only feed it as an occasional treat. Firstly because
it isn't a balanced diet fed on its own and secondly I have found that if I
give my cats "fancy food" often, they turn their noses up at "normal good
food."
My vet once said to me "never feed your cat/dogs/whatever on food they would
give their eye-teeth for on a regular basis, if you do there is nothing that
will tempt them when they are ill."
This seemed like good advice and I have followed it ever since.

Tweed

Your vet is totally right. I always thought I was doing the right
thing when I fed my cat Wellness dry food, Greenies as occasional
treats, and nothing else. Every once in a GREAT while, I'd give him
tuna juice and he'd still slurp it up. A couple of months ago he
seemed interested in the salmon I was eating, so I gave him a piece.
He just smelled it and walked away! It was wild caught, too. I was
****ed because it was in his bowl and therefore wasted.

Anyhow, recently I've had to daily medicate with L-lysine and found it
difficult to get Mack C. to eat canned food! I trained him far too
well for his own good. I had to give him the meds so I went and
purchased some tuna and mixed the meds in with the tuna juice.
Luckily, he drank it (phew!). I gave him a small piece of tuna with
it but he pretty much ignored it and just went for the juice.

I've since been able to coax him into eating Wellness canned food. He
still likes a little dry food everyday. If he got tuna juice on a
regular basis I may have not been able to get him to take the
medication. It took me about a week to train him to eat the canned
food right away.