Old August 26th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

if you don't believe in the existance of Christ
how can they be Christmas cards?

So why send cards out at that time ?

Because it's a good idea to have some sort of festivity at the darkest
and gloomiest time of year, and Christmas is handily designed to do
the job.

I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. There wasn't a lot
of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
(Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
outfits). And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
any religion having a problem with.

One very odd thing about Christmas in Istanbul is that it's pretty
hard for the local Christians to squeeze in to midnight mass. The
churches are packed with Muslim (or secularized Muslim) rubberneckers
curious to see what a Christian church service is like.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******