Old August 26th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Because it's a good idea to have some sort of festivity at the darkest
and gloomiest time of year

As a Scotsman you are well qualified to make that statement!

It's true that many cultures (especially those closest to the poles)
have a light-and-warmth festival of some sort during the dark part of
the year.

and Christmas is handily designed to do the job.

It's a popular one, can't argue with that. But as someone from a non-
Christian background, I find Christmas a bit obliterating. (Though I
wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't so *garish*. Some non-Christians
may complain about the religious symbols, but I'd rather hear about
Jesus than about iPhones.)

I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. There wasn't a lot
of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
(Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
outfits).

I didn't know that about Santa. This is probably akin to hating kittens
and puppies in some people's minds, but actually, I detest Santa. The
I've said it. The American Santa is probably a far cry from the Turkish
St. Nick, though.

And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
any religion having a problem with.

As long as they don't SING about it!

Joyce
--
Promise me you'll never wear pants that bind or tug or hurt, pants
that have an opinion about how much you've just eaten.