Old December 15th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Using a Pet Carrier

Suddenly, without warning, BC exclaimed (15-Dec-06 10:38 PM):
I started taking care of a stray a few months ago and want to take her
to the vet for a checkup, shots etc. Even though stray someone had been
taking care of her, she's friendly and has gotten used to us pretty
easily.

But I cannot get her in a pet carrier! Ive tried several times and
several carriers, including a large one for dogs. Before I can get the
door closed she is out!!! I searched for a vet that would make house
calls but havent found one in Tulsa Ok. Any help will be
appreciated. Im trying to get her used to it a bit at a time with the
top off etc but hasnt helped yet

thx BC

A couple of tricks I've used for my front-load carriers:

Tip it up - then put the cat in, head first. Gravity will help you
close the door and she's further away from it.

Set the box on the edge of a table or something, so she can't get a grip
on anything outside the cage. If you can get her front end in (I'll
hold both paws in one hand to manage this), she'll have to go in and
turn around, 'cause there's no place for her hind legs to go.

Use two people - one gets the cat in, one closes the door as the cat's
going in

But the best thing to do is just leave the cage out, and feed her in
there. Put in a comfy mat. Feed treats in there, and only in there.
When she goes in, if she likes to be made a big fuss over, then do that.
If not, praise her from a distance. The trick is to make the cage a
*good* place to be.

Once she's comfortable going in there on her own (but not until- very
important!) close the door, but don't latch it. Let her push the door
open and escape if she needs to. After a while, she'll probably not
feel the need to escape when you close the door, then you're golden!

Meep goes into her carrier with only a little fuss, but after a vet
visit goes back into it as soon as she's given an opportunity. Same
when we're traveling. Away from home, it's her "safe place".

When we get home, I set the carrier on the floor, and let her out. She
exits unhurriedly, walks away, then returns, goes in and out of her box,
then ignores it. Don't know why she does this, but she does - every time...

jmc