Old June 15th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default cost of dental work

Inu wrote:
In retrospect, I regret witholding the fluid treatment, because it made
her recovery from anesthesia much rougher. When I brought her home she
was very agitated for several days. I'm also wondering if it might have
unmasked an underlying kidney problem since she is now having some
problems (high blood calcium level & rising BUN/Creatinine levels with
vomiting).

Did they use the better gas or what? Not nasty Ketamine which is rough
stuff.
Rising creatinine is indicative of kidney problems, and if high enough,
kidney failure.
What are you doing? Low phosphorus diet and special foods in the
meantime?
If they did not use gas, would one anesthesia without fluids
put too much strain on marginal kidneys?
She is not having a system that is not clearing the toxins out so
she is vomiting? Give her more water somehow? Wet foods?
What do the vets say?

My cat is only 4-5 yrs. old and had bad plaque so I was trying to head
off any future problems by getting her teeth cleaned, now I wonder if
that was a mistake since the cost of the cleaning has made it harder
(financially)for me to pursue further treatment.