Old July 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Sharon Talbert

Wendy, the Campus Cats website has a blurb on socializing that might help
you. You've taken on a real project, though, with so many kittens! Are
they all from the same litter?

Step one, is get the kittens to a vet who is comfortable in dealing with
fraidycats. They should be vaccinated and wormed at least, tested for
FeLV if possible. If they are of sound health and weigh at least 2
pounds, they are old enough to be sterilized as well.

Step two, is catch the momcat and get her spayed. If she is also feral, I
hope she can be returned to the backyard as a mouser. Food and shelter is
the only compensation she would require.

A vet visit for the kittens will also determine their age. A kitten as
old as 12 weeks generally takes much more time to socialize (though we've
had good luck with kittens as old as 4 months). An 8-week kitten is more
likely to quickly turn around.

Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.
She is going to her foster mother tonight, to continue her studies as a
housecat, and I expect her to be ready for her new home in 1-2 weeks.
Each animal is different, though, and must be evaluated as such.

Read the article, Taming the Tiger, posted to the Campus Cats website. It
may help. You can also contact me at home:

Good luck!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org