Old January 13th 05, 02:05 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-13, CatNipped penned:

I know! Like Dr. Phil says, people treat you the way you allow them to
treat you. The problem, *MY* problem, is many-fold. I have ADHD and am a
bit (OK, a lot) obsessive compulsive - in other words, I not only want
everything I do to be perfect, but I usually have the energy to keep working
at it until it is. I have a *VERY* hard time saying, "I can't do that." So,
they keep piling things on and I keep just doing them (and as far as the web
architecture, I do it so fast and make it look so easy that they,
techno-plegics that they are, have *NO* idea of just what an intense,
complicated job I'm doing). I just keep moving faster, and faster, and
faster - until I just can't go any faster without breaking the sound
barrier!

Heh. I have the same problem from a different angle. I easily get distracted
from work, so if I'm behind schedule, I feel like it's my fault, so I should
somehow be able to fix it. Not always possible. Besides, for every two days
where I get half as much done as everyone else, I work a day where I get four
times as much done as everyone else. I just can't seem to keep a consistent
work habit. I also work best after-hours in an environment where all my
co-workers are earlybirds, but that's another issue ...

The thing that gets to me the most, I think, is my sh*t-head boss yelling at
me for things that I have no control over. We have problems with our
telephone lines breaking. Even though I am responsible for getting the
phones lines fixed, I can't fix them myself. He was on the phone today and
his long distance call was dropped and he screamed out at me (my desk is
right outside his office), "GET THESE F*CKING PHONES FIXED NOW!!!!" Well, I
had called the phone company - 6 times - but they still hadn't gotten out
there yet. He's always yelling at me for something like this - while I'm
trying to code a very complicated page for a project that has a deadline of
two weeks!

Here is where you really do need to say no. Your boss is being verbally
abusive. Tell him in calm tones that you are working on it, but that you
don't deserve to be treated this way.

Of course, only you can decide if it's worth the risk to stand up to your
boss. But if I were doing the work you're doing, with the added stress of a
boss like that, I'd be sick constantly. To me, my health is worth more to me
than the paycheck.

I agree with whoever said that it's easiest to get a job when you already
have one. It's hard to aggressively job hunt when you're working full time
(let alone double time as you are), but you need to somehow find that time.

Sigh, I'm ranting again - sorry!

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't mind. I hope your situation
improves.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch