Old October 14th 04, 10:15 PM
kaeli

In article , sonicechoes-
enlightened us with...
I suppose I could check Google but I'm here so...

Someone at the cat show said that all tri-color (or tri-colour for my
British friends) cats are female, or, if male, are sterile.

Seems odd but he was showing his purebreds so maybe he knew what he
was talking about. Does white count as a color?

TRUE tricolors [1] are almost always female because it requires 2 X
chromosomes. Male tricolors are therefore XXY.

See this for a pretty good explanation (and source of below quote):
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml

[1] "A true tricolor must have one of its colors derived from the red gene --
either red (orange) or cream (kind of a light, orangy beige, not unlike the
color many people call "ginger"). If it does not have one of these two
colors, it is not a true tricolor. The second color must be white, and the
third color must be black, blue (a blue-gray), chocolate, lilac (a pale rose-
beige), cinnamon, or fawn (a pale buff color). Black and blue are by far the
most common."

~kaeli~
Frisbeetarianism (n.), The belief that, when you die, your
soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck there.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace