Old July 11th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

If this were me, and you are dealing with parents and the tax person, I
would take all the papers to a registered accountant and let them sort it
out. If the person who prepared the stuff did wrong, then they are held
accountable. I feel like you should do this ASAP as if there are penalties,
they can add up in a hurry.
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
When I went back home from SC in April, Mom's 2007 taxes hadn't been done
yet. Dad's 1099-R from his military pension had gone missing and I wasn't
able to get a copy prior to the 4/15 deadline.

Now, they've been using this woman to prepare their taxes for years. I've
no idea what her qualifications are (other than she has a copy of TurboTax
and claims she's been a tax preparer for 25 years). She said she'd
request an extension. She got all the information including the 1099-R
before I left.

I didn't get back here until June 9th. During that time Mom had left
several messages with this woman asking where are her tax forms? She
never heard a word from her. I picked up the gauntlet and started
calling. Kept getting voicemail; she never called back.

Now, I knew this from when I was here before, Mom had mailed the IRS a
check for their 2006 taxes (which was duly cashed) but she neglected to
mail the form 1040 with the check. Dad's dimentia was severe by that time
and since he didn't tell Mom to mail the forms too, she didn't know any
better. For some reason this woman took those forms with her when she
took the 2007 stuff. I've no idea why! I have a vague recollection she
said she'd take care of it. Well, they (Mom & Dad) got a letter in the
mail on 6/30 from the IRS looking for the 2006 forms and giving 30 days to
provide proof they'd filed taxes before they'd start assessing penalties,
etc.

I redoubled my efforts to call this woman. Apparently I wasn't the only
one. Her voicemail box was FULL. She wasn't picking up her messages. A
couple of times (on 7/2 and then on 7/5) I actually got a person to answer
(her grown son and daughter). I confirmed she was in town, she wasn't
injured, hospitalized or otherwise incapactated. I left messages
indicating it was urgent I hear from her. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

On 7/7 I wrote her a letter (Registered Mail) explaining the situation and
requesting all the paperwork from 2006 and for tax-year 2007 back. She
signed for it; I got confirmation two days ago. Today in the mail we
received all the forms from her. There was a note included that said,
"Sorry, all the paperwork is done. I had a *meltdown* over some things
that happened at home."

Believe me, I understand stress. (It feels like all I've lived with this
year.) And I understand depression all too well. But if this is your
*livelihood* shouldn't you at least have someone return the calls to find
out what your clients need?

I'm ticked off but I don't know if I should be. Mostly I'm just blowing
off steam, I guess. I can tell you this, she won't be doing the 2008
taxes. I still don't know what her qualifications are. I do know she's
inexpensive which is surely why Dad chose her in the first place over a
CPA or a known tax firm. But hell, anyone can buy a copy of TurboTax.

Jill