Old July 11th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Ticked off, but should I be? (OT)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
When I went back home from SC in April, Mom's 2007 taxes hadn't been
done yet. Dad's 1099-R from his military pension had gone missing
and I wasn't able to get a copy prior to the 4/15 deadline.

Now, they've been using this woman to prepare their taxes for years.
I've no idea what her qualifications are (other than she has a copy
of TurboTax and claims she's been a tax preparer for 25 years). She
said she'd request an extension. She got all the information
including the 1099-R before I left.

I didn't get back here until June 9th. During that time Mom had
left several messages with this woman asking where are her tax
forms? She never heard a word from her. I picked up the gauntlet
and started calling. Kept getting voicemail; she never called back.

Now, I knew this from when I was here before, Mom had mailed the IRS
a check for their 2006 taxes (which was duly cashed) but she
neglected to mail the form 1040 with the check. Dad's dimentia was
severe by that time and since he didn't tell Mom to mail the forms
too, she didn't know any better. For some reason this woman took
those forms with her when she took the 2007 stuff. I've no idea
why! I have a vague recollection she said she'd take care of it.
Well, they (Mom & Dad) got a letter in the mail on 6/30 from the IRS
looking for the 2006 forms and giving 30 days to provide proof
they'd filed taxes before they'd start assessing penalties, etc.

I redoubled my efforts to call this woman. Apparently I wasn't the
only one. Her voicemail box was FULL. She wasn't picking up her
messages. A couple of times (on 7/2 and then on 7/5) I actually got
a person to answer (her grown son and daughter). I confirmed she
was in town, she wasn't injured, hospitalized or otherwise
incapactated. I left messages indicating it was urgent I hear from
her. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

On 7/7 I wrote her a letter (Registered Mail) explaining the
situation and requesting all the paperwork from 2006 and for
tax-year 2007 back. She signed for it; I got confirmation two days
ago. Today in the mail we received all the forms from her. There
was a note included that said, "Sorry, all the paperwork is done. I
had a *meltdown* over some things that happened at home."

Believe me, I understand stress. (It feels like all I've lived with
this year.) And I understand depression all too well. But if this
is your *livelihood* shouldn't you at least have someone return the
calls to find out what your clients need?

I'm ticked off but I don't know if I should be. Mostly I'm just
blowing off steam, I guess. I can tell you this, she won't be doing
the 2008 taxes. I still don't know what her qualifications are. I
do know she's inexpensive which is surely why Dad chose her in the
first place over a CPA or a known tax firm. But hell, anyone can
buy a copy of TurboTax.

Jill

I week, no big deal.

Two weeks after April 15 and the work is current and you are on
vacation, acceptable.

Longer than that, especially with an elderly client who has just been
widowed, outrageous.

And I don't care what kind of meltdown she had. When I was in
business, if I couldn't take care of my clients, I had other
accountants who would. I would have covered for them in an emergency
as well. Heck, if I died Charlie knew who to turn my files over to.

Your Mom likely doesn't need a CPA but either get a preparer who comes
highly recommended and has more than a one person office, or look for
an enrolled agent.

Jo