Old July 22nd 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Declawing

m...

cshenk wrote:

My attributes may be wrong (sue me). I have lived with 2 declawed and 2
normals at the same time. Fast I noted front declaw alone leads to more
hissing and defence becomes BITING which leads to vet due to puncture
wounds, rare in clawed kitties.

I suspect that may be largely a matter of the individual cat's
temperament. It's Melisande (the cat with all her claws) who tends to
bite, often for no discernible reason. Cendrillon, on the other hand, has
never bitten me - and come to think of it, I don't remember ever hearing
her hiss! Of course, my observations involve only one cat that has been
declawed, and anyone who has ever lived with cats knows that there is NO
statement beginning with "All cats...." that does not have a multitude of
exceptions. My two seem very closely bonded - they groom each other
affectionately, sleep together on my bed at night, and most of their
"aggressive" games are clearly play.

Biting transmits diseases such as FIV, but scratching with front claws
doesn't......Yet another reason to discourage declawing cats.......