Old March 21st 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default 16 yr. old cat constantly throwing up

Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (3/21/2011 10:44 AM):
wrote in message
My cat is 16 yrs. old and for the past several months constantly
throws up. The vet did some blood work and his sugar was a little
high, which she attributed to the stress of the visit. His kidney
function is slowing down a bit and now she wants to take a urine
sample. She has changed his food to a type that can only be bought at
the office and is a gastroenteric formula. The food is not cheap, $34
for a case of canned and $28 for a 6# bag of dry food. I don't know
what to do for him; there are times that he doesn't seem to know where
he is or who I am. Is some of this just part of the "aging process"?
He is an indoor cat, up to date on his shots and has never been sick.
I really don't know what more to do for him. Has anyone else faced
this problem or had a similar situation w/their cat?

Did he check for thyroid problems also?. Some vets only do a partial panel
for blood and not a full work up.

Sorry about the furball I lost my beloved Phantom at age 16. He was at
that point that I needed to help him cross the bridge.

Since he is having problems with his kidneys IMO try to stay away from the
dry food Your cat is equal to a 81 year old human. Let us know what the
results of the urine testing is. I might shed so more light on the
situation

I feel your pain. My cat will be 16 in a couple of months. She already
has health issues, so I get anxious every time she has a bad day...

I agree with what is said above - get him on wet food, and suggest a
full thyroid workup.

I'd be a little leery of the vet-recommended food. Sometimes it's not
really the best for them... years ago the vet I had then put Meep on
Royal Canin Urinary (dry) for cystitis problems... she continued to have
problems until I stopped ALL dry food. Now she eats 100% canned/wet
food, and is much healthier. It's a mix of the expensive stuff, and
select varieties of Fancy Feast, to help keep the cost down.

jmc