Old March 26th 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default The Raccoon and the Possum

On 3/25/2019 9:22 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
I've mentioned that we leave food out for a couple of strays and the wildlife sometimes gets into it. But the other night I turned on the light and I see a large Raccoon and a Possum at the same food. The Possum left as soon as I turned the light on, but he didn't exactly run away either.

Opossums aren't exactly known for speed.

I thought Possums were relatively timid, despite all those sharp little teeth. I don't know what happened before I turned on the light, but the Raccoon was not aggressive at all, which really surprised me.

Maybe the Possum and the raccoon are BFF's in private life. LOL

The only opossum I ever encountered was outside my fenced patio back in
TN. It was a young one. I spotted it hiding in some shrubs along the
back wall of the apartment when I went out to check the mailbox. I sat
down and stayed very still. It sort of meandered out from under the
bushes, across the lawn to a tree and proceeded to climb up, very
slowly. It didn't seem at all disturbed by me. Didn't show me it's
teeth. Wasn't Speedy Gonzales, either!

Jill