Old June 9th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis

Default Can you save by buying Advantage flea control for dogs and using smaller dosage for cats?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:47:18 GMT, "Garret Swayne"
wrote:

Here's another question...Can you do this with Frontline Plus as well? I've
heard it's actually a better product than
Advantage, in that it works against ticks too. Can I buy the "large-dog"
product and dole out smaller "cat-sized" doses to my feline? Would anyone
know the dosage size?

I use Frontline Plus on my fifteen indoor/outdoor rural cats. I have
a severe tick issue due to all the wildlife and cattle in the area.
About twice a year I buy two or three six-packs of the largest dog
size from an Australian vendor (deadfleaz.com). Then I empty a tube
into a small glass bottle with a wide mouth and a tightly sealing lid.
I use 2 cc syringes to meter the doses: 0.5 cc for an average cat and
a bit more (about 0.7) for my two largest (and a bit less - maybe 0.35
or 0.4 cc for my two smallest). The biggest drawback is that the
numbers come off the syringes - I scratch the barrels at the two
dosage points and keep them visible by filling them with permanent
markers. Even counting shipping, this keeps the cost per cat per
month to around a US dollar, and keeps the fleas under almost complete
control, and the ticks to the point where for the first three weeks I
remove almost entirely dead ticks from the cats - they do bring in a
few live ones on the outside of their fur and these sometimes find me,
but I almost always feel them before they attach. Anyway, it's a good
thing that these are almost all cattle ticks, not deer ticks, even
though there is a large local deer population (even the deer have
almost exclusively cattle ticks).

I buy the bottles and syringes from http://www.sciplus.com/
(American Science and Surplus, and yes, there is a connection with
Ken's use of the same vendor).

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead