Old March 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default FIP vaccination

On 19 Mar 2006 07:38:58 -0800, "kaleigh"
wrote:

Both my kitties live indoors. Although both rescues, they are 3 years
apart in age and free of health problems. Still I worry about FIP
knowing two people who each suddenly and tragically lost a young and
otherwise healthy cat to this disease.
My vet refuses to give my kitties this vaccination. Should I heed her
advice or find a new vet?

This is just my personal opinion based on what I know, but here it is.

The FIP vaccination is not very helpful anyway, nor does the FIP test
give very accurate results. So in my book, it's a waste of money,
particularly since your kitties are indoor-only. If you rescue, there
may be more cause for worry, but I'd say in general, it isn't a big
likelihood that they will develop this.

My only worry is that you said your vet "refuses" to give it. I would
think she would tell you that it isn't all that helpful, or whatever,
and share information to try to dissuade you from doing it, but
outright refusal is a bit concerning to me. I would talk to her about
it again before you make any decisions to change vets.

Just my $1.02 worth.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com