Old February 9th 05, 12:34 AM
Slimpickins

"Justin L" wrote in message
. com...
I found out new cats' bad habit, or at least one of them. He meows at
night very loudly! I am guessing he is begging to go out because right
now he is scratching at the door as he is meowing up a storm.

What can I do? I have tried:
Feeding him
Playing with him
Petting him
Ignoring him

He woke me up at 4 different times last night. He almost sounds like a
lady cat in heat!

Help!!

Justin

***Excessive vocalization can be due to several things. Basically it could
be either physical or behavioral. It's alwaays a very good idea to have him
check out by a before* assuming it's a behavioral problem. However, IMO, in
his case, it sounds like it's behavior. First off, do not* go to him when
he vocalizes. Ignore him. Call out to him and say, "NO!". Keep repeating
this and be consistent. It will take time, depending on your cat, and how
easy he is to train over time. But when you do go to him to play, etc, it
only reinforces this negative behavior that your trying to nip. So if he's
indeed doing it for attention, then he's gotten exactly what he wants. The
recent January-05 issue of Cat fancy, actually discusses excessive
vocalization and other top behavioral issues and concerns. You may still be
able to find it in some pet stores.

ML