Old May 9th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
weavergirl

Default To see or not to see

Let me just start out my story on how I aquired my foster kitten named
Roxanne. I work at a hotel and we have stray cats from the area and then
seem to breed and birth on our property. There is one female cat named
Patches(by a co-worker) that is the alpha female that has all the kittens,
that I know of. Last year at this time she had 7 kittens and were all healthy
and I fostered them for about 2 weeks and found homes for all of them, I kept
one. This year she had kittens again, however, she let one behind, Roxanne.
A guest and her family found the kitten. She was about 24-36 hours old
(umbilicord was still attached but almost dried up) and she was cold and not
moving. I told the couple that I would try to save her and resured them that
I know what I was doing because I have fostered small kittens before, as
young as 6 hours old. I am also a certified vet assistance and have worked in
the animal field for 4 years and voluentered for a total of 10 years. They
were fine with the idea and wanted Roxanne when she was old enough. I got
food into her and she improved. Things were going good till 2 days later,
what happen next I like to it an episode because I do not know what happened.
I was at my grandmothers and I went to get Roxanne out of the box to feed her,
because at this point I was force feeding her, and she had defacated all over
herself and was having convolsion. I figured that she was to weak and that
was why Patches left her. Roxanne was displaying all signs of dying. Labored,
shallow, decreasing breathing and she was screaming out. It got to a point
where she had stopped breathing, for at least 3 min maybe longer, I said my
goodbyes and put her in her carrier and put her in the car. 2 hours later
when I got home I went to bury her and when I took off the lid she was moving.
I picked her up and held her. I did not know what to think she stopped
breathing and was lifeless in my hand 2 hours ago. Since that day she has
been a different kitten she eats like a pig. I took her to the vets a week
later just make sure everything was ok with Roxanne plus I thought she had a
unbilicord hernia. Vet could not tell me anything about her episode, what it
was or what it could have been, and said she was healthy and I had nothing to
worry about. Less then 3 days later I had to take her to the vets because
she had a hole at her unbilicord site and it was infected. Vet gave me
amoxicilin to give to her for 10 day and said the problem she is having was
related to a hernia and that I needed to keep an eye on it. I am on day 5 and
the infection has cleared up.

The reason I am writing this thread is because I hope someone can help me out.
I need to know first if anyone has witnessed an episode like this before and
can enlighten me as to what happened(I am thinking a siezure), second how can
you tell if a kitten is blind.