Old April 2nd 05, 08:44 PM
MaryL

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
A little over a year ago, we had 3 cats, Cory, Scottie, and Abbey.
Then on 3/27/04, Cory went to the RB at age 18. We then had Scottie, a
feral 7 year old, and Abbey, 3. All neutered or spayed, of course, and
totally indoor cats.

About a month after Cory died, Scottie started, for the first time in
his life, to spray one of our doors leading to the outside, to the
carport, specifically. I assumed it had some complex relationship to
Cory having previously been "top cat" and Scottie now feeling he had to
defend his territory. Our neighborhood has a huge amount of cats, both
stray and outdoor cats with homes. I think a lot of people feed them
so none are ever too scraggly looking and many are quite hefty. We
too, feed them and have for the 10 years we've lived here. I do get
some of them neutered but, for the most part, I don't know who has a
home and who doesn't. I know for a fact that 3 of the cats who snack
here have homes. It's just that kind of neighborhood where most people
let their cats out, unfortunately.

Well, Scottie never seemed bothered by the outdoor cats although, now
and then, there will appear one that seems to get him in an outrage.
But I assume that it was something about the outdoor cats that got him
to begin spraying, combined with the loss of Cory.

I diligently sprayed Feliway and the problem would go away until I got
lax about the Feliway and then he would spray again. So I would do the
Feliway again until I, once again, got lax. I believe the pkg. insert
says something about doing it faithfully for a month. Whatever it
says, that's what I did. So, for the most part, as long as I
continually sprayed Feliway, he wouldn't spray.

Candace

Candace,

Since the Feliway spray seemed to work, I suggest that you try using the
Feliway plug-in dispensers (get at least two; place one close to the door
where Scotty sprays and a second one in an area where Scotty frequently can
be found). The reason I am recommending the dispenser is that is
continually releases premeasured amounts, and you don't need to worry about
forgetting to use it. One refill will last for a month to 6 weeks. Do
*not* get the plug-in "with D.A.P." because that formulation is for dogs.

Here are 3 sources:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/petproducts.asp?
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...tg uys.com%2F