Old April 2nd 05, 11:51 PM
MaryL

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Candace" wrote

Oh, and if the throw rug is not by the door, he doesn't find it quite
as attractive to spray there. He will occasionally but the rug seems
to make it more delightful. We could not have a rug there at all but
more dirt would get tracked thru the house. Maybe the odor is not
getting washed out well enough and a new rug without fabric on it might
alleviate the problem somewhat but that's the only plan I ahve right
now. Any ideas?

I have no idea how true this is, but I read somewhere (maybe here?) that
rubber-backed rugs give off some kind of odor that just begs cats to pee
on it. Maybe try a rug with no backing, if that's what you have.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Yes, that is true. Many rubber-backed rugs have an odor (probably not
noticeable to hoomins) that acts as a natural cat-attractant. Some even
have a type of fish residue as part of the manufacturing process. I learned
years ago to avoid all such rugs, just on the off-chance that it would cause
inappropriate urination -- which is much harder to stop than to avoid in the
first place.

MaryL