Old August 15th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Wendy

Default Cat Pregnancy Questions?

OMG Wendy, I have never heard such a sad story in my entitre life. I
used to wonder why people got so out of shape when they heard of our
community bowl, but having heard this story, I now understand why. Our
community bowl has two objectives. The first was to stop them
starving, & the second was to see that they were fixed. I end up
paying around $30 for a male, & $40 for a female. It's not a huge
amount of money to find, & well worth the hassle of catching them. It
is also worth having a word with your regular vet, to see if they are
willing to do cheaper rates if you take more than say, one a month to
them too.

I knew that things were bad in the USA regarding feral & unwanted
cats, but I had no idea exactly how bad. I hope that story serves as a
reminder to others as to why it is so important to get them spayed &
neutered. I have to say that I am very shocked to hear your story.
That is absolutely horrific!! I can only assume that we lead very
sheltered lives in the UK, or the problem is not yet quite at crisis
point.
Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Sheelagh "o"
( Nice to see you too;o)

It's the God's honest truth. I was shocked when the volunteer came back and
told us of the problem she had getting the poor thing put out of it's
misery. It was bent over backwards seizing and covered it what looked like
maggots and the SPCA couldn't help us. The volunteer finally took it to a
private vet who was still open and they euthanized the kitten for us.

We're smack dab in the middle of kitten season here and I guess everyone is
filled up with cats. There is a shelter in Philadelphia that has been giving
them away for a dollar just so they don't have to euthanize. The sad thing
is that many of these $1 cats will be returned or dumped back on the street
and have to be dealt with later. Maybe there will be more room then though -
or at least one can hope.

I'm back up to 17 fosters myself. Two of them are bottle feeders that were
found outside with no mom. There were four kittens to start with but the one
was dead when it arrived at the vets office and they euthanized the other
because it was so sick. I was at the vet's picking up one of my fosters (the
mother of 6 kittens born on Father's Day) and they asked if I could take the
surviving two.