Old October 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Ollie Clark

Default Cat Linguistics

Argo wrote:
Just recently, there was a notice in the newspaper that a cat was lost
(terrible news). The notice said that the cat would recognize its name
- Felix. Is that really possible?

Back when I was a kid, we had a cat named "Candy," and he always
answered to his name when we called him. He'd come running in from the
bush any time we called (expecting food, naturally). One day I decided
to try an experiment to see if he REALLY recognized his name and I
called "Ipswitch," using the normal tone we used when calling him. Sure
enough, he came hurrying out. Hmm.

That's my experience too. Call them whatever you want and they'll still
come as long as you do it in the right tone. We've got one cat called
Isobelle and she gets called Issy, Bez, Bezzy, Boo, Boozle etc. and she
doesn't seem confused. I mistook her for our other cat once and called her
Toby and she still came.

--

http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html