Old February 22nd 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Very poorly cat - advice needed please

"BLOGGZPOT" wrote

when she left her temperature was 37.8, breathing normal but still
showing signs of facial swelling. since coming home she has licked at
a little mushed up tuna mixed with warm water and looks a bit more
'perky'. she was looking out of the window at one point with avid
interest at the birds feeding ( these bieng her preferred entree I'm
afraid lol) so I am becoming a little more optimistic. when I left the
vets, the nurse gave me some cortisone steroid and told me it was
'antibiotic' -can you believe it??

Oh, yes, you need a new vet. I am not so sure about the joys of
rural living when I hear stories like this. What a bunch of asses in
that vet's office. The attitude of lots of these large animal vets is
"so it dies. Replace it."

I'm off to do some research to see if pregnant cats can get pre
eclampsia?

Clare, I hope she will be okay. You sound like a bright, capable person,
I am sure you are way ahead of me here .. but I sure would keep her
confined to rooms in the house where there are no hazards--indefinitely,
but for sure while she is pregnant and sick. I think M. L. Briggs has a
good suggestion when she mentioned feeding water with a dropper
(actually I used a turkey baster) to make sure she is getting enough.
Not forcing, just cuddling her in a towel and dribbling it while giving
attention, petting, talking softly. You know how dangerous it can be
for a cat to get dehydrated. With a vet like that your only choice,
should she be off her food and water for a couple of days, I think
I would learn to give subcutaneous fluids myself, rather than trust
her to the vet. Good luck, we'll be thinking about you.