Old February 23rd 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Very poorly cat - advice needed please

Pleaes ask a urine therapist (153,000 web pages) about how to treat
the cat.
Or consult http://spacetimemotion.tripod.com

Erach

On Feb 22, 9:59*pm, BLOGGZPOT wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:35*pm, "cybercat" wrote:

"BLOGGZPOT" wrote

when she left her *temperature was 37.8, breathing normal but still
showing signs of facial swelling. since coming home she has licked at
a little mushed up tuna mixed with warm water and looks a bit more
'perky'. *she was looking out of the window at one point with avid
interest at the birds feeding ( these bieng her preferred entree I'm
afraid lol) so I am becoming a little more optimistic. when I left the
vets, the nurse gave me some cortisone steroid and told me it was
'antibiotic' -can you believe it??

Oh, yes, you need a new vet. I am not so sure about the joys of
rural living when I hear stories like this. What a bunch of asses in
that vet's office. The attitude of lots of these large animal vets is
"so it dies. Replace it."

I'm off to do some research to see if pregnant cats can get pre
eclampsia?

Clare, I hope she will be okay. You sound like a bright, capable person,
I am sure you are way ahead of me here .. but I sure would keep her
confined to rooms in the house where there are no hazards--indefinitely,
but for sure while she is pregnant and sick. I think M. L. Briggs has a
good suggestion when she mentioned feeding water with a dropper
(actually I used a turkey baster) to make sure she is getting enough.
Not forcing, just cuddling her in a towel and dribbling it while giving
attention, petting, talking softly. You know how dangerous it can be
for a cat to get dehydrated. With a vet like that your only choice,
should she be off her food and water for a couple of days, I think
I would learn to give subcutaneous fluids myself, rather than trust
her to the vet. Good luck, we'll be thinking about you.

thankyou for your kind words cybercat. she has perked up a little
today and eaten a little tuna. I'm keeping my other two cats well away
and have made her a cosy home next to the heater in the laundry room.
her face is still swollen - she is normally 'oriental' looking but
looks like a hamster at the moment. Hopefully this is an acute
reaction to something. We are knee deep in snow here at the moment
( Rockie Mountains, Canada) so she has either chewed on something dead
outside or perhaps walked through a toxic substance. *Good idea the
turkey baster - knew it must have a purpose in life lol! She is the
strangest cat though - i think she has had to really survive as a
stray - she will have perfectly good fresh water down for her and go
try and drink from the toilet - and with two males (human) in the
house its impossible to keep the seat down. for this reason i can't
use toilet bowl cleanser, so i'm pretty certain its not that.

Well fingers x'ed and healing vibes ;-)

Clare- Hide quoted text -