Old November 10th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ABC

Default adopting behaviour of another cat?

I hope someone can help me with this.

I adopted 2 cats from the same litter 20 years ago, so they were
biological twins. They lived, ate, played and slept together for about
19 years when one died of old age. I feared the worst for the
remaining one but he is still here, after a year.

Shortly after the departure of his brother(cat "D") there is a
distinctive change of behaviour in the surviving cat(cat "S"). He
started to do what D used to do-----As owner I can tell you, S never
did these things. They are totally habits of D-----meowing loudly for
food, pressing its head against my tummy, asking for tit-bits at the
dinner table, sitting at the door of my girl's bed room in the morning
trying to get in..........etc. He now even sits on the sofa where D
used to sit.

In short, I see about 10% of S and 90% of D in the furly body.

Last night he almost freaked me out when he purred loudly and ran
round the house at a full gallop( should not happen with a 20 year old
cat)---just like the days they were playing. Then he sat at the window
and stared at the street(habit of D, never S).

I am new to this group and I am asking for help. Is there an
explanation for this? Is he just so used to have those behaviour
around so he is mimicking ??? Is there anything I should do?

K. Wong
Hong Kong