Old January 18th 05, 01:32 AM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message

Watching Cary, he can do the most amazingly bendy things. He sucks on his
toes like its no big deal. He can lift his head so far back it virtually
touches his butt. He can, and often does, sit with his feet straight and

and
has his head touching the ground.

I can suck my toe (I don't, but I can!) ;

He does this like its perfectly normal - because for a baby, it is.

But when we stop doing such things, we tighten up and lose the ability.

Some
people are just naturally bendier than others (I am a bendy person, but it
also means I'm forever over-bending joints, which is painful) but if you
have been doing bendy things from a young age you don't lose the
flexibility. Just look at wha tthose martial arts guys can do - thats
because they have been doing it literally for their whole life.

Yeah, I've been bending all my life - having my feet tucked in full lotus is
more comfortable to me that sitting "right" in a chair. It's just my
hamstrings that need to stretch.

Bendy yoga video girl has probably been doing such things for most of her
life. You haven't. Its nothing to be ashamed of, but please don't think

you
ought to be able to be doing what she does, because you almost invaraibly
won't be able to. You will become *more* felxible as you get your muscles
and tendons used to stretching, but you won't ever be as flexible as

someone
who has doing extreme bendy stuff for all (or even most) of their life.

I know, but the cats make even her look stiff!!! ;

Like all other things, do it so as to be healthy and happy within

yourself,
not so that you meet some "I want to be like them" target.

Yowie

Yeah, I guess I'm too obsessive-compulsive to just be happy with whatever
state I'm currently in. I'll have to practice that aspect of yoga more than
any physical position.

Hugs,

CatNipped