Old November 17th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
snuffy

Default feral cats

My daughter lives in Manhattan in Hell's Kitchen and bikes to her job
in Harlem on a bike path along the Hudson River. At 125th Street she
has become smitten with a little clowder of young cats and she wants
to rescue them and take one home. One has already been run over and
she fears they all will die eventually. She does not know how to do
this. You cannot park a car anywhere near the place. She doesnt know
how to catch the cats. She called some NYC Feral Cat Initiative and
they offered no help and said after a certain age you have to forget
about adopting a feral cat. It is kind of a weird situation. When
got my own darling feral cat (in Philadelphia) I just enticed him into
the house with yummy food and he was a bit injured at the time, his
knee is still kinda peculiar, so he is very happy to stay here. He
clowder showed up a few times but I haven't seen them in months.
anyhow: does anyone have any suggestions on how she can go about
rescuing one of these feral cats? I am afraid that she might get
bitten and get rabies or something like that. If she captures one of
the cats, gets in into a box, then she will have to take it home on
her bicycle. I think its hopeless. Of course that cat will be very
upset. But there is little hope of them surviving where they are
now.