Old January 19th 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Kitten Converts Reluctant Owner

On 1/18/2017 11:00 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:13:22 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

It's just that once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a contributing editor
for a nationally circulated magazine, and I was known for turning in what we
referred to as "clean copy" - so I hate letting errors like that slip by me.

Okay... contributing... you're not being graded here. I'm pretty sure
everyone who read the post understood what you meant. Added the word
"world" and understood.

We interrupt this program for a brief look into the thoughts of a man who has
noticed errors of spelling and grammar in Tom Clancy novels.

*laughing* Where I live there is a little "library" filled with books
donated by people who live here (this is a gated community, don't get me
started). Just take some books, bring them back. Got new books you are
done with? Donate them. I keep a pencil on the table where I read; I'm
constantly correcting spelling in books. I blame spell-check. I don't
think they have actual proofreaders anymore.

I grew up before our schools started routinely handing out diplomas to
functional illiterates as they do today. When I look at a newspaper and see the
trash that now makes it into print from people with degrees in journalism that
wouldn't have gotten me promoted out of elementary school in my day...

I grew up in that era, too. I also don't believe being a jock with some
potential for a sports scholarship should entitle anyone to a free ride.

Oddly enough, I never really attended a proper grammar class when I was
growing up. (Do try not to cringe when you read my posts!) My dad was
a career Marine. We moved at least every two years until he retired.
Each school I attended was different in terms of what they taught in
English class; they were either way ahead of the prior school or lagging
behind what I already knew. Just don't ask me to diagram a sentence.
I never managed to take a class in geography, either. Don't get me
started on history. I complained to my senior (high school) history
teacher that we were starting all over again with what I'd been taught
in grade school - the early explorers. No history class I ever took
managed to get any further than the American Civil War.

Look at it this way - how would YOU feel if you just discovered you'd somehow
managed to burn dinner beyond recognition? It's simply a matter of us having
certain expectations that we consider it obligatory for us to live up to. When
we don't live up to them, our inner selves tell us, "Shame on you!"

I understand that, especially since I love to cook. (I carry a timer
around with me if timing is critical. LOL) BTW, should RPCA get hit
with a spate of trolls, our response on this ng (other than outright
killfiling them) is to frustrate them by posting recipes!

That said, I'm sure most people's minds filled in the blank. My own mind has
plenty of blanks to spare grin and it did exactly that before I clicked the
"Send Now" button - that's how I failed to catch it. But thank you for letting
me off easy. My editor at the magazine would've been mortifed and probably
would've sent an e-mail to ask if I'd been feeling under the weather lately.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of preposterously
precious puddytats, already in progress... :-)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Indeed we shall!

Jill