Old March 11th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Basement cats

"Susan M" wrote in message
Otis has been terrible at night again. He gets up first at 2 AM and then
at 6:30 AM. My face and collar bone have little scratches from him trying
to get my attention. Fred and I are exhausted all the time.

I'm sorry to hear that Otis is still disturbing you in the night.

The boys have been in the basement for the last two nights and we've slept
really well. I know I've written about this a lot and there's nothing new
here.

I remember I replied once before ;-) when I said I don't allow my cats in my
bedroom. It's out of bounds 24/7 as I don't want them to get used to going
in there. There are allowed the run of the house otherwise. I sleep very
badly anyway so I don't want the possibility of the cats waking me if I
happen to be asleep!

It's just sad to isolate them that way when we're so busy all day with the
kids. The cats really want their nighttime attention and I love the
nighttime purrs and cuddles. Just not the scratches!

I understand your feelings: but you need to sleep. Continually disturbed
nights are bad for you. How about putting the boys in the basement
Sunday-Thursday nights and letting them be with you on Friday & Saturday
night? Then you could take turns napping in the day if you needed to. Just
an idea for a compromise.

Oh well, we'll do this for a while and see if we become human again. We
might start to like being awake all day ;-)

You can't really go on like this, can you? Otis seems over-attached to you
and I can't help thinking that because you love him a lot and want him to be
happy, that you are "enabling" him to remain so.
It would be different if he would just snuggle up all night quietly with
you, but he doesn't..
My two seem quite happy to sleep downstairs at night, or on the spare bed in
the next bedroom. They are rarely noisy, sometimes I hear them galumphing
around as if they are chasing each other and just occasionally Boyfie will
forget it's not a weekday and will meow outside my bedroom door at 7.15ish
to ask me if I realise that the alarm hasn't gone off and now I will be late
for work. He's pretty good about this though, it's only once in a while.

I hope you find a solution, Susan.

Tweed