Old April 20th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat food brands--Science Diet = cat equivalent of rich folkbuying their people food at Whole Foods and other boutique grocery stores?

Anyway, would love to hear from people who know something about cat
health and nutrition who don't also subscribe to the view that buying
organic people food will significantly expand the life expectancy and
quality of life of people.

Before you can choose a cat food, you need to learn about cat
nutrition. Cats are obligatory carnivores, which means they MUST have
meat as their diet. Look at the ingredient lists of most dry foods
(even Science Diet). The primary make up of these is carbs (corn,
wheat, etc). Not an appropriate diet for cats. This site has a good
article about feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Also, the book, Your Cat contains a lot of good information on diets
for cats.

The short answer to your question for me is: I buy canned and raw food
based on the ingredient lists, not because of where I can buy it.