Old May 7th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

On 2006-05-07, Christina Websell penned:
I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how much
isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?

I wish I knew!

Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if
since
the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would she had
said
then? I know what she would have said actually. "I have a diet that you
might like to go on.." She is obsessed about being slim. Huh, I told
her
the thinner she is the more wrinkles she'll have. ;-)

*snicker*

It's just assumed that thin = good, and that if you're thin you must
be thrilled about it, and if you're not thin that you must be terribly
bothered about it, and actively working against it. Nevermind if
you're thin because you've been ill, or if you're actually trying to
gain weight, or if you're happy with how you look.

On the plus side, she probably meant well and intended to compliment
you.

Oh, probably so. Normally I wouldn't mind if she wasn't so weight-obsessive
and that seems to be all that matters. This seems to be new thing in the
last few years, maybe she read something somewhere.
I don't buy into "thin is good - fat is bad."

Tweed