Old May 7th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?

I think that in a culture where slim=attractive, she was trying to
compliment you. Particularly since people tend to gain weight as they
age.

Lately, my mother makes a lot of comments about me being
unattractive/fat/etc. I weigh 163 lbs. She weights 230+. Teacup,
meet kettle.

I was once seriously ill and plummetted to 128 lbs. On my frame,
that's underweight (145-150 is my ideal). My close friends were
concerned by how I looked, but casual acquaintances said I looked
great. I was all bones.

--Fil