Old August 10th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

"Nadia N." wrote
cshenk wrote:

Try broth again, but water it down a bit and make sure it isnt to salty.

I managed to get her to drink a bit of chicken broth. It wasn't the broth
we cooked especially for her, though - she wouldn't touch that

So glad this worked! Keep in mind just like a dehydtated 2foot, she may
need a bit of salt and other electrolytes just now.

one. But she eats these cans of pure white chicken meat in broth, and
after I had exhausted all other choices I gave her some of the broth from
the can, diluted with water. At first I didn't want to give her that
because it does have some salt in it, but I was out of other things to
try, and I did add a lot of water to it. So far I've given it to her 3
times. She slurps up some, then starts licking her chops and stops. I
think that maybe she starts feeling nauseous again and that's why she
stops. Still, she drank up about 3/4 of a bowl that way (it's her wet food
bowl, not as big as a water bowl, but still not small).

That works. Salt is bad for them over long term in the levels 2foots use,
but if she's accepting the level you served, it's fine. Right now, it's
more important to get her drinking and eating. I takes a few years for a
high sodium diet issue to bother a cat.

She has perked up quite a bit. She washed for a while, walked around, even
lead me to the fridge asking for food. I'm not supposed to give her food
till tomorrow morning though, so she just got more broth. I had to give
her a shot - a second dose of the same anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea
medicine that the vet gave her at the office. I'd never given a kitty a
shot before. I hope I did it right. Poor little girl, having to be stuck
with needles by an amateur.

Lol! I bet she feels better now.

I've only had experience with one cat that had a bad reaction to a shot,
but it was a bit like this. He was allergic to something in that shot.
If it helps, he did indeed start drinking a bit in the night and by
morning was happy to be waited on hand and foot with little tempting
treats in tiny amounts every hour or so. The first thing he accepted
with a little bit of my roomate's 'special margarine for the lactose
intolerant' (her idea and a good one as it worked).

Thanks for telling me about your roommate's cat. It's good to know this
has happened to other kitties before, and they recovered. I have been
googling adverse reactions to vaccines, but pretty much all of them
describe symptoms that she doesn't have, like swelling up and difficulty
breathing, falling over, seizures. I wonder if maybe her symptoms being
just vomiting and diarrhea and none of the others mean that this is not so
much an allergic reaction to the vaccine, but that the vaccination just
weakened her system and let an existing problem get worse. She has always
had a sensitive tummy, soft stools, and when I first got her as a kitten
she had diarrhea with blood in it for over a week. In any case, she seems
better tonight. We'll see how she does with solid food tomorrow...

Roomates cat never had any of that swelling or seizures or breathing
problems.

Her sensitive tummy though does sound like there might be an allergy to
something in her food going on. Once she's better, maybe we can discuss
what you currently feed and look it up to see if an alternative seems
reasonable for your area and finances.

The rule of thumb is every time you see a soft stool (over soft), the food
rushed through and nutrients were probably not properly absorbed. The
occasional issue is not a problem. The long term issue, can be.

Oh, and to the person who said that she might "die from inattention" and
that my vet was unprofessional, my vet called tonight at 11:30 pm to ask
how she was doing, and if she had started drinking. Very inattentive of
him, yeah.

Grin, sounds like a good vet and a language problem. Any vet who calls *me*
to see how my pet is doing, is a keeper.

I'll add, I don't see as you did anything wrong to ask for anyone with
experience in this to post back as you clearly indicated right away you were
post vet trip with followups already taken. You got home with her and were
following vet advice with morning followup already set and just looking for
those who had seen similar and what they did.