Old June 6th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default This is how wars start

sounds like your border collie is smarter than the average, Lee
"Jofirey" wrote in message
Jake and Kayla seems to be more involved with each other lately, but not
necessarily in a good way.

I'm thinking Jake (Siamese) feels threatened when our two year old
granddaughter visits, but knows he can't act out with her.

Kayla (Border Collie) is different.

A couple of examples. Yesterday my older daughter was here. She was
sitting on the sofa with Kayla in front of her giving Kayla lots of
attention and pettings, etc. Kayla was wagging her tail and squirming
with delight. Jake had already had his allotment of daughters attention.
(He is simply crazy about her) and was still lying on the floor. We
looked down and he stretched out and slowly took the base of the dogs tail
between his teeth. (He let go without clamping down. But he surely could
have)

Today, a muggy warm spring day, everyone was kind of stretched out in the
family room. Jake was in Charlie's favorite chair, Molly in the spot
where I like to sit, grandson half asleep in the other half of the sofa
from Molly, and me on the other side of the room reading and tossing a
tennis ball gently for Kayla. Kayla gets bored and bounces the ball off
her nose instead of catching it to get more action going. About the third
time she does that, the ball lands up against Jake's exposed belly. Big
dilemma. Nothing keeps Kayla from her tennis ball. Except maybe Jake,
who hasn't moved but is growling quietly. Kayla tries approaching from all
different angles, dancing back and forth. Trying to keep her eyes on both
Jake and her ball. This is not easy for a Border Collie. They excel in
their ability to focus on one thing at a time.

Finally Kayla circles around and reaches through the open arm of the chair
at the toothless end of Jake and gently removes her ball. She decides to
stop playing for a bit.

Jo