Old March 30th 04, 08:55 PM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:

One pronunciation difference I noticed would be the word "can", as in
"I can do that." I grew up pronouncing it the same as I would that
metal object known as a "can". The Michiganders I was hanging around
with pronounced it "ken", as in Barbie's ex-boyfriend's name

US Midwesterners have a distinctive accent. One variation I've always
noticed is the pronouciation of the letter "o", in words like "hot".
Most regions in the US pronounce the "o" similarly to the aw in "awful".
But in the midwest, they pronounce the o like the "a" in "father". So
when the temperature is high, or the food is spicy, they say it's "haht".

And they all come to visit "Skat-land"

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/