Old July 7th 03, 03:02 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Purplecat at
wrote on 7/6/03 8:43 PM:

Hi,
I was thinking about this last night. Yesterday I found and caught a
stray/feral kitten, which managed to give me a bite (mistaking my thumb for
food rather than out of fear/aggression!) This is not the first time I've
been bitten by a feral. Fortunately in Australia we don't have rabies, so
I've never been too worried about handling stray/feral animals. How does
rabies impact on handling unknown domestic animals in US? What happens if
you get bitten by an animal you don't know? Does this affect the average
animal lover's ability to catch/handle stray animals?

Just wondering...

Thanks,
Purplecat

Usually if the animal has no reason to be suspected of having rabies, the
person can undergo rabies shots (expensive!!!) and the animal quarantined.
Otherwise the animal will be destroyed and the head sent off for testing.

Karen