Old March 24th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The neighbors' dogs

Pat wrote:
In the house closest to mine lives a couple and three dogs. Their
yard is not fenced, so the dogs only get to go out with the people,
and mostly only when they need to relieve themselves. I did not
realize until the other night that they are letting their dogs poop
in my yard. I realized it because I was out there and stepped in
some, without seeing or feeling it, then tracked it through my house
before I noticed it.
I didn't know what to do about it at first. In fact it took a while
to dawn on me where this poop had come from, being that I'm not used
to having neighbors so close. I did already have to change bedrooms
because the guy walks the dogs every morning around 7 and is always
shouting at them because he doesn't use leashes. Also, they play loud
music that can be heard in the one bedroom I was using.

Having to change bedrooms I didn't mind much, but having to 'watch my
step' in my own yard is too much. I left a friendly note on the guy's
car about what happened and asked him to please not let them keep
doing this, or else clean up after them.

There is a leash law in this town. Those dogs should not be allowed
to run loose outside, no matter if the owner is nearby. If I keep
finding doggie-do in my yard, should I complain to the authorities,
or what? I sure don't wanna make enemies of the folks next door!

If there is a leash law, then there is also the possibility that there is
also a bylaw that states that if the animal does get loose and poo-poo
(probably not worded as such in the bylaws) on someone else's property, the
owner of the pet(s) is responsible for cleaning it up as the property owner
has the right to enjoy their property without worrying about dog-poo (or
being attacked by other people's dogs).

If he continues 'walking' his dogs without leashes, remind him of the leash
law, and that his yelling is bothering your sleep (there is probably also a
noise ordinance, check into that too) - and if that doesn't help - by all
means, report him.

We've had problems with neighbor's dog(s) getting into our yard, but we've
never reported it as *they* have made the effort to confine the dogs to
*their* yard by plugging holes in *our* fence (old farm fencing that was on
our property line when we bought the place) where it touches their property.
Another neighbor's dog occasionally gets into our yard, but they are quick
to try and get him/her back. I actually don't think it's our neighbor's
dog, I think it belongs to a friend of his, and his friend brings him over
occasionally. One time, the friend's teenage son's were traipsing around
our house trying to corral the pup - in the pouring rain!!!! Pup, of
course, thought it was a fun game and led them on a merry chase throughout
the neighborhood.