Old May 26th 05, 10:55 PM
Catnipped

"Janet B" wrote in message
Do you think Janet is going to run
out to the corner Opiate Store and buy painkillers just becaue Lyn said
to?

LOL - trying to picture the "corner opiate store"!

Before x-rays were taken, a substitute vet had me give her 1/2 baby
aspirin. No noticable change. She also sold me "Wellactin", a fish
oil supplement. Only the cats turned their noses up at the food when
I used it. Finally gave up on that one! My current vet said she had
several clients test is (by feeding it to their cats! ;-D) and none of
the cats liked it either.

Again, Janet, I'm not taking issue with how you're treating your cat - from
the posts I've read you are a *really* good cat mom.

What I *keep* having problems with is Lyn's advice to everyone here to give
their cats drugs just to "rule out" things. Advice like that is a staple of
her posts and, to her mind, seemingly, makes her sound like a medical
authority because she knows the names of drugs!

No, there's not a corner opiate store out there... but vets, even more so
than human doctors, can be talked into doling out drugs that are not needed.
And if you urge someone to ask their vet for a drug for a "possible" illness
instead of a definite diagnosis, and you portray drugs as a panacea to all
problems, well that's *NOT* good advice and people need to know that that's
not good advice, especially in today's world of "quick fixes". (Again, I'm
not saying that you're looking for a quick fix I'm saying that Lyn is trying
to push a quick fix.)

Lyn likes to be seen as the expert on everything she posts about, and I'm
just trying to couteract that act with a little common sense.

As I'm sure you know, giving drugs is a last resort when nothing else has
worked. When a definite diagnosis has been made, and all other options have
been tried, then drugs are the solution, but, in my opinion, not *until*
then.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--