Old May 31st 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Downside of Fewer Depo Medrol Shots?

"Cheryl" wrote

If it makes you feel any better, Shamrock has had 2 dentals in his
young life. He has a tendency toward gingivitis (probably also
related, but that's a guess). He's been fine both times, though our
*new* vet gave him a different anesthesia and it took him a long time
to come out of it even after coming home.

ahhhh, gad, I would have been a wreck.

Thing is, the vet showed me the tartar buildup on
one side--just one, isn't that odd? She is really neat,
she said, "in our teeth and cats' teeth, plaque is like
a little bacteria castle. It takes calcium and other things
from our blood and builds a nice little home for itself."

I love my new vet. She takes time to explain more
complicated things as well, like my Boo's fainting
spells and how they relate to her hyperthyroid. The
old vet put her on beta blockers but never bothered
to explain. This one told me about hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy in hyperT cats, and most importantly,
that once the thyroid levels are corrected it is COMPLETELY
REVERSABLE, which means she has probably had no
business being on the beta blocker this long. And this vet
did not mind talking about Boo even though it was during
Gracie's appointment.