Old May 8th 05, 06:44 PM
dh@.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:17:45 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can.

Definitely true of parrots. Billy, my Severe Macaw makes a disappointed
vocal when he wants to come out to play and I have to walk away without him.
It's not a scream for attention; it's a quick, low vocalization of
disappointment without doubt.

It's not too surprising, though I had wondered if birds experience it.
I never saw chickens show signs of it, but when something is taken
from them that they like, the hens have ways of showing they are
feeling the loss. I made a reply to the Gonad (sometimes posting
as Rudy Canoza) which is a quote from Darwin regarding his dog
expessing disappoinment. You might find the page of some interest:

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...pression02.htm

Darwin also explained his belief that emotions evolved as life itself
did, and my impression is that he feels some animals are capable
of more than others, which is almost certainly how it is. I read it a
few years ago, and didn't save any of the quotes or mark the
location, and haven't been able to find it. Gonad, if your reading this
do something useful and hunt it up, along with your superior term
for "experiencing life".