Our Housekeeper Kitty

Old April 23rd 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Default Our Housekeeper Kitty

Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.

But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
closet door each morning!!

This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!

Best Wishes,

Peg

"Scientists' say intelligent life
sprang from the sea.
Really intelligent life returns to
the sea every now and then."

Old April 23rd 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
capricious

On Apr 22, 6:16 pm, Peg Caldwell-Ott wrote:
[...]

hahaha.. kind of reminds me of one of my domesticated female cats who
anytime you play with her, she grabs whatever it is in her mouth and
runs off with it, like a dog! She then always to puts it where she
always sleeps Then she's just instantly bored with it apparently,
it's quite strange! Nice story.
Old April 23rd 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:16:46 -0400, Peg Caldwell-Ott
wrote:

[...]

They are all so weird. Two of my cats finish eating and walk away. The
third one has to turn over all of their food bowls. Since two are too
heavy to easily turn over, she will pull anything on the floor onto
the bowls to cover them up.

None of them drag their blankets to the closet though.
Old April 23rd 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Peg Caldwell-Ott" wrote in message

[...]

Totally precious, Peg. She wants to contribute to the household.

Old April 24th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_4_]

[...]

A dear departed girl kitty of ours used to drag socks out of drawers and
pile them up or bring them to us. I asked the vet about it and he said she
was acting as if they were her kittens, and just because she was spayed
didn't mean her motherly instincts were gone.
Your cat is probably moving her kittens (blankets) to a secure space
(closet).

Old April 24th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Many thanks for the suggestion--that could well be the explanation!!
She has been particularly active with her "kittens" today, moving a
total of 6 blankets from the kitty day bed to 2 different closets, and
several day bed toys to other doorways in the apartment!! Blankets
always end up in front of closet doors, but toys are more usually
left in front of room doors!!

Cheers,

Peg

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:53:21 -0400, "deja.blues"
wrote:

.. .

Old April 26th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_4_]

"Peg Caldwell-Ott" wrote in message

Many thanks for the suggestion--that could well be the explanation!!
She has been particularly active with her "kittens" today, moving a
total of 6 blankets from the kitty day bed to 2 different closets, and
several day bed toys to other doorways in the apartment!! Blankets
always end up in front of closet doors, but toys are more usually
left in front of room doors!!

Cheers,

Peg

I used to find it quite adorable. Enoy your kitty!

wrote:

. ..