Counting stray cats while cycling at night

Old February 16th 15, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Counting stray cats while cycling at night

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:57:25 -0800, Dick Ballard
wrote:

I think there is a cultural difference between the US and UK regarding
free roaming pet cats. I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

I don't know where that view comes from.

This is a very long time ago, but I recall one cat we had in Hampshire
was hit by a spade thrown by some guy because the cat was in his apple
tree. The cat suffered a while, and I think we had to get her put
down.

After we moved to the U.S. I gradually became aware of the idea that
letting a cat roam was cruel, and when I set up my own home and
adopted a cat, I never let it or any other subsequent ones roam
outdoors.

Old February 16th 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mack A. Damia wrote:

Dick Ballard wrote:

I think there is a cultural difference between the US and UK
regarding free roaming pet cats. I get the impression from some
sources that NOT allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a
form of abuse by many in Britain.

I don't know where that view comes from.

This is a very long time ago, but I recall one cat we had in Hampshire
was hit by a spade thrown by some guy because the cat was in his apple
tree. The cat suffered a while, and I think we had to get her put
down.

After we moved to the U.S. I gradually became aware of the idea that
letting a cat roam was cruel, and when I set up my own home and
adopted a cat, I never let it or any other subsequent ones roam
outdoors.

One of the problems is that they just aren't smart enough to avoid some
of the hazards. The most obvious is contact with human beings. Even a
hard-core feral can be easily baited and killed. Then there are dogs.
Antifreeze. Wild animals, depending on the location.

I've got a hard-core feral that spends most of its time when I'm awake
up in a loft in a closet/pantry area, accessible to their Skyway. That's
her place. One time I needed to lighten the load here so I left the
front door wide open for 15 minutes when I went next door. She was in
the front area on a platform when I left. She was still there when I got
back. She's afraid of me, but she is more afraid of the not-so-great
outdoors. Besides an infant room monitor to bring the outside sounds in,
they have access to the breezes and smells from outside, from behind a
lightweight plastic screen when the window is open. None of them have
ever scratched that screen even though they could easily slash it in
half. They enjoy lying at the windowsill taking it in without being
there. Just for fun I have at times in the past taken my male house cat
to show my next-door neighbors a "cat magnet". Dropped him on their side
of the fence and watched him run like crazy back around the fence and to
our door. He's not thrilled about being outside. That's the objective,
take good enough care of them so they enjoy being inside as much or more
than being outside.
Old February 17th 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Dick Ballard:
I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

Couple years back I saw a documentary about a guy who studied cats in
the UK.

His method was to recruit a number of cat owners who agreed to seal
anything their cat brought home in a plastic bag and freeze it until the
investigator came around periodically to collect and catalog them.

I can't recall the numbers, but he found that each made quite a dent in
the local small animal population.
--
Pete Cresswell

They probably did. Cats like to hunt and if you don't like it, don't have a
cat. Simples ;-)
My cat is brilliant around my chicken huts (small rats killed only, the big
ones he says no to) If you have poultry you will always get rats coming to
share their food.
So he kills the small ones, and it prevents them them getting big. If they
get away from him and get big I get the terriers in. No rat will get away
from them. I have to keep Boyfie inside otherwise they will kill him - so
we do a rat hunt. It's far better than poison. Either they escape or they
don't. no dying slowly.

Old February 17th 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

wrote:

I think there is a cultural difference between the US and UK regarding
free roaming pet cats. I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

I don't know where that view comes from.

This is a very long time ago, but I recall one cat we had in Hampshire
was hit by a spade thrown by some guy because the cat was in his apple
tree. The cat suffered a while, and I think we had to get her put
down.

I hope you called the police. It's not allowed to kill a cat for being in
someone else's apple tree. Boyfie does it occasionally. Up to now it
hasn't been a capital offence.

Old February 17th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:23:32 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think there is a cultural difference between the US and UK regarding
free roaming pet cats. I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

I don't know where that view comes from.

This is a very long time ago, but I recall one cat we had in Hampshire
was hit by a spade thrown by some guy because the cat was in his apple
tree. The cat suffered a while, and I think we had to get her put
down.

I hope you called the police. It's not allowed to kill a cat for being in
someone else's apple tree. Boyfie does it occasionally. Up to now it
hasn't been a capital offence.

I don't remember what we did other than take Penny to the vet. I
think we talked to other neighbors and found out that this guy had a
reputation. It was an upsetting time, and this was 1955.

Old February 17th 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Christina Websell:
They probably did. Cats like to hunt and if you don't like it, don't have a
cat. Simples ;-)
My cat is brilliant around my chicken huts (small rats killed only, the big
ones he says no to) If you have poultry you will always get rats coming to
share their food.

My maybe a dozen cats. "Maybe" because she divides them into two groups
"House Cats" that come-and-go from the house and "Barn Cats" which are
semi-wild things that live in the barn and feed on rodents.

Try to touch one of the barn cats and you'll need medical attention.

I saw another documentary called "The Cat Connection" (BBC... might have
been the same one where they described the study...) in which they
described cats - in terms of evolutionary perfection as hunters - as the
dry-land analog of great white sharks.

Guy I worked with had a "Maine Coon" cat - which are even more
compulsive hunters than most.

One day it brought home a live pheasant. He took the pheasant from the
cat, threw it up into the air, and the thing started flying away.... not
like a duck's very steep takeoff... more a gradual increase in altitude
as it crossed the yard. When it was about halfway across the yard, the
cat took off after it, leapt into the air, and dragged it down...
--
Pete Cresswell
Old February 23rd 15, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"buglady" wrote in message
On 2/13/2015 6:28 PM, John Doe wrote:
Having fewer stray cats in Europe nowadays probably helps keep the
bubonic plague away. You all were nearly wiped out and traumatized by
the bubonic plague, makes sense that you are scared to death of stray
animals. I hope something like that never happens here, but I fear it
could.

..........Huh? Bubonic plague comes from fleas on rats or other rodents.
Cats killed rats. Unfortunately cats can be killed by the plague too, so
things only got worse over time. The major factor of spread was the rats
on the ships, which transported it all over. And there already is bubonic
plague here popping up occasionally in AZ.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/plague/

.........She's saying the cats in the UK are owned, not strays, not that
there aren't cats all over outside.

They are not any cats here in my garden waiting for a home. Yet. I'd really
like to get an unneutered boy and transform his life. Like I did for
Boyfie.
He doesn't agree one bit.

Old February 24th 15, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"buglady" wrote in message
On 2/13/2015 6:28 PM, John Doe wrote:
Having fewer stray cats in Europe nowadays probably helps keep the
bubonic plague away. You all were nearly wiped out and traumatized by
the bubonic plague, makes sense that you are scared to death of stray
animals. I hope something like that never happens here, but I fear it
could.

..........Huh? Bubonic plague comes from fleas on rats or other rodents.
Cats killed rats. Unfortunately cats can be killed by the plague too, so
things only got worse over time. The major factor of spread was the rats
on the ships, which transported it all over. And there already is bubonic
plague here popping up occasionally in AZ.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/plague/

.........She's saying the cats in the UK are owned, not strays, not that
there aren't cats all over outside.

buglady

I am sure that there are some stray cats in the UK. I am waiting for one
to arrive to join Boyfriend (he came as a stray himself in 2003) No luck
yet. Never seen a stray cat here for years. Every cat I see is owned and
lives nearby.
Boyfie does not agree with the idea I have about finding another smelly
intact boy and transforming his life. He says he was not smelly ( he was
not)
He has no intention of sharing me. No way. I would really like to find
another boy like him. He's charming

Old March 4th 15, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

[...]

I hope his owner ate it ;-) Pheasants are yummy.
I have a pheasant that visits my garden but my cat says "absolutely not, far
too big.." He's a bit of a wuss tbh. No rats bigger than 4 inches in case
he gets bitten by those brown chisel teeth on the big guys (he isn't stupid)
He rarely hunts birds, too much trouble now he's getting older. He does
very occasionally bring me a wood pigeon. I fry the breasts of those and
make a soup from the rest. So it's not wasted.
Cats will hunt, it's what they like to do; it's their nature.

Old March 4th 15, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Christina Websell

"John Doe" wrote in message
So now this troll is saying that cats should be outside "to hunt mousies
and ratties". Maybe they should be outside playing with skunks and
raccoons, vectors for rabies...

If you are referring to me, I have always made it clear that I appreciate
the difference between the USA & the UK regarding safety for cats.
It is perfectly safe to let cats out here - providing you don't live on a
busy road. We don't have rabies and no animals that will eat them (apart
from a rogue fox now and again) which my cat is aware of. If he sees a fox
that might have ideas on him he's up a tree in 2 seconds.
Saw him scale a tree after a squirrel in that time. He missed it though.
Very little traffic here and he knows how to avoid it.
He is perfectly able to look after himself when he is out.
Which is not to say I haven't worried when he's been out for too long and
once or twice I've been out looking for his dead body on the road but he
comes in saying "what's the problem? I was out looking at rats around the
chicken huts and you know how long it can take for them to come out"