A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Catnipped's new cat tree



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 13th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,930
Default Catnipped's new cat tree


"jofirey" wrote in message
...

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
...
I can't find the thread again, so I'll have to post seperately... I
just watched the video of your furry friends exploring their new cat
tree. How cute! It looks like the boys are going to grow up to be VERY
big cats (either that or Jesse is remarkably small...) Looks like they
love that new tree!

We just bought the girls a new cat tree of their own, but it's not
nearly as nice as yours... really we got ripped off. Never ever
EVER buy a super-cheap cattree on Ebay! I thought it would be big
enough for Silver to climb on it comfortably and the perches are TINY
so she only just fits... Not to mention it's unstable as heck because
the base is far too small for it and our ceiling isn't even enough to
make the screw-in-top sit firmly - Silly and Tessie were exploring it
and Tessie tried to bound up it like she did the old one, and she
shook it right loose from the ceiling! Fortunately it rocked and went
back into place without actually falling over, but they both got the
fright of their lives (and so did I because I was watching at the
time!)


I accidentally found the perfect untipable "cat tree" this weekend. We
don't have a cat tree right now. The ones I like are just way too much
money. I've been looking for sales, etc since I really want them to have
something inside by winter.

We had company coming yesterday and I'd had my eye on an inexpensive rug
for the family room. I went ahead and got it, and did feel bad getting
that when I wasn't willing to shell out the money for a proper cat tree.
Still the rug was only 1/3 the cost of a nice cat tree.

We put the rug down Friday night after we'd finished cleaning the house.
The guests are relatives who know my mother was a wonderful housekeeper,
and mom would expect me to have things looking good when they arrived.

Charlie came to bed an hour or so later. He said that Jake approves of
the new rug wholeheartedly. He has clawed it from every position he can
get his body into. I don't think he could be any happier it it had been
woven from catnip plant fibers. It looked good for the guests, but at the
rate Jake is going it will only be fit to cover a cat tree in a few
months. I guess the mothership wants us to build our own.

Jo

That is what I did for theirs. I went to a construction site asked if I
could raid the lumber waste bin. Found some very nice and heavy pieces.
Went up to the local carpet store and with their permission raided the
waste bin. I already had a heavy duty staple gun. For the base I went and
got hemp rope and wrapped it around. Total all together was about $20 and
about 3 hours of labor taking my time.
I made it look like a open box the end pieces have the rope wrapped around
it and on top and bottom are sheet wood so it has a base and a top. I used
the carpet along the exposed pieces of wood. They love it the can scratch
it all up. It is heavy enough and wide enough not to be able to tip over.


  #12  
Old August 13th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,003
Default Catnipped's new cat tree

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in message
...


CatNipped wrote:
"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
...

I can't find the thread again, so I'll have to post seperately... I
just watched the video of your furry friends exploring their new cat
tree. How cute! It looks like the boys are going to grow up to be VERY
big cats (either that or Jesse is remarkably small...) Looks like they
love that new tree!



No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds. I
think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails -
but the are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59


I get the impression that "average" size for UK cats is somewhat smaller
than in the U.S. The only cat I ever had who weighed less than ten pounds
was Paraclete (born to a mother who was an FLV carrier).(1) I think most
of us here regard ten to twelve pounds as "average", although Melisande
(who doesn't seem particularly large) weights closer to fourteen. Patches
was about eighteen short-hair pounds of pure muscle, and I've known
non-obese cats who weighed as much as twenty.


I don't know, Jessie and Demi are both about 7.5 - 8 pounds. Bandit was
around 9.5 most of her life, but she had a lot of Maine Coon in her
background. Other cats I've seen in shelters and roaming seem to be about
Jessie and Demi's size, so I think even in the US, 9 pounds and over, while
it could be normal for individual cats, is probably higher than the
"average" weight of a cat.

Hugs,

CatNipped


(1) They didn't test for such things, back then, but that's what her
grandmother died of, and my vet had told me the daughter "might be a
carrier". ....Told me AFTER Paraclete was born, of course - I had assumed
an indoor cat couldn't get pregnant, so didn't need to be spayed. (I
hadn't reckoned on the determination of a female cat in heat, so
mama-to-be got out and returned with incipient kittens.)



  #13  
Old August 13th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 266
Default Catnipped's new cat tree


No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds.


Yikes! Louie is our smallest cat, and weighs in at 12 pounds. Hope
I'm not over-feeding them. All they get is dry food and fresh water,
but it's available to them all day and through the night. I'm a
little concerned now. Feedback please.

-bonbon

I think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails - but the
are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59


  #14  
Old August 13th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,802
Default Catnipped's new cat tree



bonbon wrote:

No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds.



Yikes! Louie is our smallest cat, and weighs in at 12 pounds. Hope
I'm not over-feeding them. All they get is dry food and fresh water,
but it's available to them all day and through the night. I'm a
little concerned now. Feedback please.


I wouldn't worry, so long as you can feel their ribs and
backbone through a reasonable pad of flesh. (Melisande's
back-bone is really quite pronounced - you can detect every
vertebrae - and her ribs are easily discernable, too,
although sufficiently padded so I don't feel cause for alarm.)


-bonbon


I think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails - but the
are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59



  #15  
Old August 13th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 266
Default Catnipped's new cat tree

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:50:28 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:



bonbon wrote:

No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds.



Yikes! Louie is our smallest cat, and weighs in at 12 pounds. Hope
I'm not over-feeding them. All they get is dry food and fresh water,
but it's available to them all day and through the night. I'm a
little concerned now. Feedback please.


I wouldn't worry, so long as you can feel their ribs and
backbone through a reasonable pad of flesh. (Melisande's
back-bone is really quite pronounced - you can detect every
vertebrae - and her ribs are easily discernable, too,
although sufficiently padded so I don't feel cause for alarm.)


-bonbon


I think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails - but the
are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59



Thank you for the feedback EvelynVogtGamble. I'm a little more at
ease now.

-bonbon
  #16  
Old May 12th 16, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Catnipped's new cat tree

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 2:05:07 AM UTC+7, bonbon wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:50:28 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:



bonbon wrote:

No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds.


Yikes! Louie is our smallest cat, and weighs in at 12 pounds. Hope
I'm not over-feeding them. All they get is dry food and fresh water,
but it's available to them all day and through the night. I'm a
little concerned now. Feedback please.


I wouldn't worry, so long as you can feel their ribs and
backbone through a reasonable pad of flesh. (Melisande's
back-bone is really quite pronounced - you can detect every
vertebrae - and her ribs are easily discernable, too,
although sufficiently padded so I don't feel cause for alarm.)


-bonbon


I think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails - but the
are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59


Thank you for the feedback EvelynVogtGamble. I'm a little more at
ease now.

-bonbon


Please check out http://cattree.uk we have some fabulous Cat Trees for sale!

Regards,

Jon
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catnipped's Xmas cards theresa Cat anecdotes 15 December 1st 05 03:36 AM
red cat in tree ... lewe Cat anecdotes 5 September 4th 05 12:40 PM
Man is cat up tree [email protected] Cat anecdotes 2 December 8th 04 02:22 AM
Tea Tree Oil Tosca Panini Cat health & behaviour 4 October 10th 04 06:38 PM
Cat tree..... Matt Cat health & behaviour 36 November 25th 03 08:33 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.