A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cat Nicknames?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 2nd 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,622
Default Cat Nicknames?

Matt Ferrari wrote:


"Bastette" wrote in message
...
Matt Ferrari wrote:


"Je?us" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly
evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she
was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a
nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.

Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different
(original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is
worse.

She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also,
"Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.


I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.


Matt, people call *you* yodel?

I like "meoyodel."

--
Joyce
--

Oh, i meant to write ive been calling yodel squeeky.


LOL. I liked the idea of your friends calling you "Yodel" due to your
cat's meowing all the time. Or maybe due to *your* meowing all the time.

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
  #12  
Old August 2nd 16, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeus[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Cat Nicknames?

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:32:15 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:


"Jeus" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?


Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.


Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.

She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also,
"Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.


Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.


I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.


I call Lucy 'squeecky' sometimes, she does have a high pitched voice despite being a large cat.
  #13  
Old August 2nd 16, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 393
Default Cat Nicknames?

On 8/2/2016 2:23 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:32:15 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:


"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.

Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.

She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also,
"Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.


I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.


I call Lucy 'squeecky' sometimes, she does have a high pitched voice despite being a large cat.


When I first got Lindy (RB), she would often run through the house,
apparently looking for something or somebody, and making "Yik! Yik!
Yik!" sounds. I used to call her "Yickaby."
  #14  
Old August 5th 16, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeus[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default Cat Nicknames?

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:16:35 -0700, Joy
wrote:

On 8/2/2016 2:23 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:32:15 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
wrote:


"Jeus" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:26:40 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

My two have a long list of nicknames, which seem to constantly evolve
over time. I won't list them all (most will sound silly anyway), but
Annie really seemed to LIKE it when I called her 'tiger' when she was
very young (long story there). So she gets called 'tiger' or 'tiger
girl' more often than not. (I'm aware it's an oxymoron .

Which is an oxymoron?

Tiger Girl Technically, she should be a tigress.

I like how nicknames evolve. "Licky" has evolved into "Mr. Licks" or
"Lick-Lick-Lick" (when I'm calling him). But Licky itself is a nickname,
because his real name is Licorice.

Ahh, I know a Licorice. A charcoal grey young man. He was quite the
trouble maker in his younger days (my friends have 8 cats, I think)but
he's mellowed out now.

That has given rise to: "Ish" (final
syllable of Licorice), "Ishington," and "Lick-Or-Ish" (each syllable
enunciated slowly), among other things.

Then there are songs. Most of these are silly words replacing the real
lyrics of existing songs, but even those evolve into different (original)
tunes.

If you think this sounds weird, let me just say that my sister is worse.

She had a cat named Caspar and his nickname was "Whitefish." Also,
"Whitey,"
"Fish boy," and more. Her nicknaming strategy seemed based on the cat's
appearance or personality, rather than being variations on the original
name - in case you're wondering how Caspar morphed into Whitefish.

Yep Most of the nicknames I come up with have little to do with
their real names.

I've been called yodel, squeeky because he is meowing all the time.
also meoyodle kinda ryhmes with yodel.


I call Lucy 'squeecky' sometimes, she does have a high pitched voice despite being a large cat.


When I first got Lindy (RB), she would often run through the house,
apparently looking for something or somebody, and making "Yik! Yik!
Yik!" sounds. I used to call her "Yickaby."


LOL. I have heard those kind of noises before from cats. Lucy has a
quirky kind greeting that I swear she is trying to say 'hello'.
  #15  
Old August 5th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,579
Default Kitty Cat Sounds (WAS: Cat Nicknames?)

On 8/4/2016 7:01 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:16:35 -0700, Joy
wrote:

When I first got Lindy (RB), she would often run through the house,
apparently looking for something or somebody, and making "Yik! Yik!
Yik!" sounds. I used to call her "Yickaby."


LOL. I have heard those kind of noises before from cats. Lucy has a
quirky kind greeting that I swear she is trying to say 'hello'.

Funny cat sounds:

Buffy occasionally meows while she's running towards me. Actually more
like toward her eating station. The action of trotting along while
meowing seems to jostle her voicebox. She sounds for all the world like
Katherine Hepburn in the film 'The African Queen'. "Miiisssster
Allnut!" I promise Buffy has never seen the movie. LOL

One sound I've not [yet] heard her make is those chattery sounds cats
tend to make when they see birds, etc. It took her several months
before she even paid any attention to the outdoor critters. Now she
watches, but doesn't say a word.

Then there are the sounds Buffy makes if she sees a *cat* wandering
across the patio or back yard. OMG. Interloper! She gets extremely
angry, territorial and defensive. She turns into an orange striped
Halloween cat. Arched back, fur on end, tail puffed up to three times
normal size. HISSSSING. She howls like the proverbial Banshee. It's a
very scary sound! Fortunately my neighbor is keeping the cat (yep she's
cat-sitting Blaze again) indoors.

The most lovely cat sound, of course, is the purring. Sometimes I can
only feel her purr. Other times she purrs more audibly. Usually when
I'm stretched out reading a book.

It's very sweet when she purrs in my ear. Just please, not at 3AM.

Jill
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nicknames Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 12 May 16th 12 01:51 PM
Cat Nicknames?? Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 19 March 6th 08 02:38 PM
Cat nicknames are fun stonej Cat health & behaviour 17 July 19th 05 08:27 PM
Nicknames for your cats? Enfilade Cat anecdotes 104 October 13th 04 01:40 AM
Do your cats have nicknames? Sandy Cats - misc 28 April 9th 04 10:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.