A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Losing Fur



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old July 23rd 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,241
Default Losing Fur

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 07:37:47 -0230, Cheryl
wrote:

Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked at her
belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for her
tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it all
back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish area is
either very thin of or missing fur.


Overgrooming? I was looking at Marlo a few months back and noticed
that her whole tummy was pink. Odd, because I had never noticed that
before, and we had her tested for everything and the conclusion was
that it was nothing organic, she was overgrooming. That's like normal
cleaning (licking) but overdoing it so that she literally was licking
away all the fur and was starting to tear the skin.

So it's behavioral. When I moved to Florida I grabbed a semi-feral cat
named Baby off the street and took her with me and Marlo, Nipsy and
Scooter. Apparently Marlo had some problem with Baby (she was
definitely chasing Baby around) and the result was some kitty social
issue (they're both X-girls and the other two are X-boys).

We tried some calming stuff and I was actually going to bring in a
behavioral specialist when I had a brilliant idea. My very elderly
mother lives nearby, and I figured that she might want a cat. Well, I
asked her if she would take Marlo for a while, and she did, and now
they're insepearable. It's been six months since Marlo went on
vacation, and Mom still calls me up to tell me the latest cute thing
Marlo did. Marlo loves being an only cat, and her fur all grew
back.I'm over there practically every day so it was pretty easy for
Marlo to adjust with me there a lot.

She also lost a lot of weight, and that turned out to be hyperthyroid,
but that was apparently unrelated to the overgrooming., Anyway, she
dropped from obese to a healthy weight and now she's on thyroid
medication and leveling off nicely. Happy ending.

Maybe you have some behavioral issue at play?
  #12  
Old July 24th 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default Losing Fur

On 2017-07-22 12:51 PM, MaryL wrote:
On 7/20/2017 5:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly
near the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but
like many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs so I hadn't looked
at her belly in quite a while. I have an appointment with the vet for
her tomorrow - I hope it's just a bit of minor over-grooming.

Anyone have experience with cats losing fur?? She certainly grew it
all back after she was spayed about a year ago, and now, a largish
area is either very thin of or missing fur.


Is it possible that she has some food allergies? Many cats are allergic
to grains (especially corn). Of course, I know that you are already
careful of that, but it would be worthwhile to carefully look at the
list of ingredients, and also to use grain-free canned food.


I can double-check the food. I think it's odd it showed up now, since
there doesn't seem to have been any change in her living conditions. We
have had unusually good weather, so she's spending more time chittering
at the birds through the windows, but surely that's not stressing her out!


--
Cheryl
  #13  
Old July 24th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default Losing Fur

On 2017-07-21 7:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/21/2017 5:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

It's helpful when the vet doesn't immediately insist on expensive
treatment and costly food.


The "calming" food I didn't buy was incredibly expensive! More than
twice what i normally spend, and I don't buy bottom-of-the-market food!

Yes, I'd keep an eye on that but otherwise it sounds like the bit of fur
loss is nothing serious. Fingers still crossed!


I'm relived that the vet thinks it's not a physical problem.


--
Cheryl
  #14  
Old July 24th 17, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default Losing Fur

On 2017-07-22 9:49 PM, dgk wrote:


Maybe you have some behavioral issue at play?


I'm glad it turned out well for Marlo.

Yes, it does seem to be over-grooming, possibly as a result of stress. I
can't figure out what might be stressing her. I can't identify anything
new in her living conditions. The food's the same; the human's the same;
she doesn't get on with the other cat Cinnamon, but that's been the
situation for over a year, and they don't fight; they have had
essentially separate kingdoms in different parts of the apartment for
months.

--
Cheryl
  #15  
Old July 24th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,584
Default Losing Fur

On 7/24/2017 10:56 AM, Cheryl wrote:
On 2017-07-21 7:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/21/2017 5:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Well, Kerry's back from the vet, and it doesn't appear to be serious.
the way in which the fur is missing (some hairs left behind) makes the
vet think Kerry's licking and pulling at it, and it's not some kind of
endocrine disorder or other physical ailment, which would cause all the
hairs to fall out.

So it might be (a) fleas or mites or (b) stress. (a) seems quite
unlikely, since they're both indoor cats, but it's not entirely
impossible, so she suggested treating them for that, which has been
done. The other two suggestions were Feliway and a calming food. I
decided to try the Feliway but not, at least for now, the food. If
nothing else helps, Kerry can be given medication, but the vet suggested
a more conservative approach to start with.

It's helpful when the vet doesn't immediately insist on expensive
treatment and costly food.


The "calming" food I didn't buy was incredibly expensive! More than
twice what i normally spend, and I don't buy bottom-of-the-market food!

I don't buy el cheapo cat food, either. But I paid a lot of money for
prescription food for Persia (RB 2014) and I'm not sure it was worth
paying more for.

Yes, I'd keep an eye on that but otherwise it sounds like the bit of fur
loss is nothing serious. Fingers still crossed!


I'm relived that the vet thinks it's not a physical problem.

Thankfully not!

Jill
  #16  
Old July 26th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,241
Default Losing Fur

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 12:28:59 -0230, Cheryl
wrote:

On 2017-07-22 9:49 PM, dgk wrote:


Maybe you have some behavioral issue at play?


I'm glad it turned out well for Marlo.

Yes, it does seem to be over-grooming, possibly as a result of stress. I
can't figure out what might be stressing her. I can't identify anything
new in her living conditions. The food's the same; the human's the same;
she doesn't get on with the other cat Cinnamon, but that's been the
situation for over a year, and they don't fight; they have had
essentially separate kingdoms in different parts of the apartment for
months.


Marlo was living in the new house with Baby (the feral) for more than
a year when I noticed the loss of fur. It takes a long time to lick
off all that fur. Maybe the Feliway will help - I was trying that but
it takes a while and I moved her to Mom's house before it really could
show any progress.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We're losing the S again Lesley Madigan Cat anecdotes 15 August 17th 14 08:28 PM
cat losing fur lori Cat health & behaviour 3 March 28th 06 10:26 PM
cat losing fur lori Cat health & behaviour 1 March 26th 06 11:13 PM
losing fur hawk Cat health & behaviour 6 February 20th 06 01:08 AM
Need Help-- Cat losing his EYE happilycrabby Cat health & behaviour 18 September 2nd 05 02:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.